- Download Seagate Backup Plus Software For Mac
- Download Seagate Software For Mac Download
- Apple Software Downloads For Mac
Software & Downloads. Software by Product; Software for Windows; Software for Mac; Product Firmware. Software for Mac GoodSync for WD. Install WD Discovery for Mac. WD Drive Utilities for Mac. WD Security for Mac. Product Firmware Product. If your product is.
You’ve plugged in your Seagate Backup Plus drive. And thenyou’ve tried to copy your documents onto your Backup Plus.
But your Mac says no.
And won’t do it.
Your Mac says your Seagate Backup Plus drive is readonly.
Why is My Mac Telling Me My Seagate Backup Plus Driveis Read Only?
Seagate sells many external hard drives under theBackup Plus brand name.
Some are sold with something called a NTFS file system on them. The Backup Plus Slim and Backup Plus Portable used to come with HFS+ already installed.
If you had a HFS+ version of the Seagate Backup Plus you wouldn’t have seen the message.
Because your Mac would see and use a HFS+ type drive. Just as it would use its own internal drives.
You’ll get the ‘Read Only’ Message with an NTFS typedrive.
NTFS is a type of file system that a Windows PC uses.Your Mac can see the drive. Copy files, photos, music off the drive. But itcan’t update any documents. Or write documents, or photos or music. In fact itcan’t write anything to the drive.
What do you do?
Options for Using SeagateBackup Plus NTFS for Mac
You have two main choices. And which one you choosedepends your planned use of the Seagate Backup Plus drive. And how you feelabout your Mac operating system skill level.
Option 1. Use the free Seagate Backup Plus Paragon driver
Option 2. Reformat your Seagate Backup Plus drive to something your Mac can read. And can write too, update documents and paste files to the drive.
What is the Seagate BackupPlus Paragon Driver?
It is a piece of software you install on your Mac.
The NTFS Paragon driver translates for your Mac. Itallows your Mac to write in NTFS to the Seagate Backup Plus.
Understand it doesn’t change the drive. It is stillNTFS. The Paragon driver allows your Mac to write onto the drive so that toyour Mac it’s not ‘Read Only’ anymore.
Plus Points for Using the Seagate Paragon NTFS Driveron Your Mac
- You can install it. Use the driver. It’s free for your Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch. It’s easy to use.
- You can paste documents, photo’s music, read and write files to the Backup Plus drive.
- Your Mac can ‘see’ the Backup Plus just as it would ‘see’ a HFS+ drive.
- The Paragon software writes your files to the Backup Plus drive in NTFS. And this means that if you want to put the drive onto a Windows PC the PC can see your files on there.
Without any special software.
- And you’ll find the Paragon software useful if there are files already on the drive. Files put there by a Windows PC. You can use those files on your Mac.
- You’ll find the Paragon NTFS driver a good solution if you use the Seagate Backup Plus drive on a Windows PC the most. And you only need to access files from your Mac sometimes.
Minus Points for Using the Seagate Backup Plus NTFSDriver for Your Mac
- You won’t be able to use the Seagate Backup Plus as a drive for a Time Machine backup.
- You’ll need the right version of the Paragon software your Mac operating system. And this means that when Apple releases a new version of Mac OS you’ll need to wait for a compatible version. And when the compatible version of the software is available you can upgrade to it then
- It’s a piece of software you need to keep track of.
- If you want to use your Backup Plus drive on a friends Mac. Or on a Mac at work, that Mac will need to have the Paragon software on it too.
- The Paragon software from Seagate is free. But it only works on Seagate supported drives. It will not work with other NTFS non Seagate drives.
- If anything happens to your Mac and you need to reinstall the operating system. You’ll need to reinstall the Seagate Backup Plus NTFS Driver for Mac. You need it installed and have it working before you can use the files on your Backup Plus drive.
Seagate Backup Plus NTFS Driver for Mac Verdict
If you’re going to use your drive the most on a Mac, you may as well set it up so your Mac can write to it. You do this by reformatting the drive to HFS+.
If you’re using the drive ad hoc and your main use ison a Windows PC then the Paragon driver is a good solution.
Sharing the drive fifty fifty with a Windows PC? Then it is worth considering reformatting the drive to ExFAT. That way both your Windows PC and your Mac can freely write to the drive without the need for extra software.
If you’re interested in reformatting your Seagate Backup Plus NTFS to either HFS+ or to ExFAT, take a look at my article here on the site. You’ll find out how there.
How Do I get the SeagateBackup Plus NTFS Driver For Mac?
On Your New Backup Plus Drive
The good news is that you can download the Seagate Backup Plus Paragon driver for your Backup Plus Ultra Touch drive.
1. Connect the Backup Plus drive to your Mac.
Aug 31, 2020. Audio editor for mac free download. Download Audacity, the free audio editor. Use free Audacity software to record and edit sound on windows, mac and linux.
You will see the Backup Plus drive Icon on yourdesktop.
2. Double click on the drive icon and a new finder window will open up.
Now you’ll see the files already installed on thedrive from Seagate.
3. Double click on the Start_Here_Mac file.
5. The next screen is where you download the Seagate Backup Plus NTFS driver for Mac.
6. Click on the download button.
The software will download to your Mac. You can if youwish download extra Seagate software for your Mac. Or dismiss the browserwindow.
7. Go to your downloads folder and double click on the NTFS_for_mac.dmg file. This starts the install of the software on your Mac.
8. You will need to enter in your administration password and allow the driver on your Mac.
The driver will be available for you to use after arestart.
Seagate Backup Plus NTFS on Mac Install YouTube Video
Take a look at this 1 minute 52 second video fromSeagate Technology. It goes through the steps I’ve described.
TookKit for MacOS – First Time Setup
VideoCredit : AskSeagate
For a Used Seagate Backup Plus Drive
As long as the drive wasn’t reformatted on a WindowsPC you should still have the Seagate files on there.
But if they have been deleted you can always download the software direct from the Seagate site.
Here is a link to the Seagate Paragon NTFS driver for Mac OS download page.
Other Seagate Backup Plus NTFSfor Mac Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Mac Operating System Versions Does the SeagateNTFS driver for Mac Support?
Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and above.
You can check the latest supported Mac OS’s at Seagate here.
2. I no longer Use the Seagate Backup Plus’ NTFSsoftware. How do I delete it?
Uninstalling the Backup Plus NTFS software on your Macis easy.
Open System Preferences on your Mac. You can do that by searching with spotlight search. You can find spotlight search at the top of your desktop.
Then type in system preferences.
Double click on the Paragon icon.
Go to settings and select uninstall.
Download Seagate Backup Plus Software For Mac
You can find more help on the Seagate site here.
3. I want to use other NTFS External Hard Drives on MyMac
The Paragon driver from Seagate will only work with their external drives. And you may have other NTFS drives from other manufacturers you want to use on your Mac. The Paragon NTFS driver for Mac is available to buy direct from the Paragon site.
Download Seagate Software For Mac Download
You can find it at this link here.
I hope the information in this article helps youdecide if the Seagate Backup Plus NTFS Driver for Macis the best option for you.
You’ll have downloaded it. And you’re copying yourdocuments from your Mac to your Seagate Backup Plus with no issue.
I have some other documents on the site about theSeagate Backup Plus. Please feel free to take a look.